30 April 2009

Forgotten Book: THE WATCHER IN THE SHADOWS, Geoffrey Household

This week's contribution to Pattinase's Friday's Forgotten Books.

I found a reference to this book in my records from 1977, and it took some research to track down information about it.

It was the 10th book published by Geoffrey Household (1900-1988), who worked all over the world, including Eastern Europe, the US, the Middle East and South America, as, among other things, a banker, a salesman and an encyclopedia writer. He served in British intelligence in World War 2.

WATCHER IN THE SHADOWS(1960) was filmed for TV as Deadly Harvest (1972).

Various Amazon reviews give the book 5 stars:
This is an amazing work of fiction that is impossible to put down before it is finished. If you have ever visited England in the summer you will appreciate Household's love of the countryside and the intense beauty of it. Household weaves together a story about a man who is forced to confront his past by an unknown stalker, and a beautiful woman who is struggling to find what she wants out of life. Nature, human and otherwise, figure strongly in this amazing story that defies categorization.

Last year The Rap Sheet identified it as a book "you have to read."
So, tension, suspense, thrills, humor, sympathetic characters, and a hero (and a villain) with a sense of honor, plus the odd bit of natural philosophy. What more could you possibly ask for in 192 pages of finely written prose?

I feel quite pleased to have read it! even if 32 years ago.

3 comments:

Uriah Robinson said...

I think I read Rogue Male even longer ago than 32 years. ;o)

Kerrie said...

I'm not sure I have read that one Norman. I found a review that advocated we should hunt as many titles down as we could.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I am not sure if I read this or not. I'll look for it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin